Skip to main content

Funeral, house, and thoughts

Now that I have had a few days to re coop and process the last few weeks and months...I can share some of the thoughts that have crossed my mind in the midst of it all and some of the lessons that I learned from family and Gran the past few weeks.

I love my family.  All of them.  My Gran had 8 kids, they had 21 grand kids and now we are working on 20 great grand kids (I hope my numbers are right).  We have a huge family.  We are all different, come from different walks of life now but as my Aunt Dodie said at the funeral, Gran has taught us to love each other and not let strife come between us.  I think we do a pretty good job of loving each other.  I loved getting to sit with my aunts and uncles many nights that we were at Gran's and listen to stories of their childhoods and about their parents.  It was a great time.  We had a very unique few weeks especially leading up to my Gran's death.  Not many people can say that they got to say good-bye to their loved one and spend quality time with their extended family.  We did and it was great.  The NORM for that past few weeks was go to work, then go to Gran's for a bit and visit with her and see the rest of the family.  Now, that it's over and most of the family have gone back to their respected homes, it is going to be way weird.  I already miss it.  I miss not being able to see them everyday.  I went to church this morning which was fine and great but I missed going to see the rest of my family after.  So, one lesson I learned...I want to be in touch with extended family more and do a better job at checking in with them.  I so enjoyed the last few weeks hanging out with them.  

I learned that "This too shall pass."  That saying, has been spoken out of Gran's mouth many times.  I have heard it a few times directed at me and many times directed at others.  :)  But this year has been a roller coaster of a year and listening to the eulogy Friday, this quote was said again and it really struck with me.  Because this year has been a heck of a year already....I can honestly heed Gran's advice and know that "this too shall pass."  Life will slow down and Kraig and I will be better people for everything we have been faced with this year.  We will figure out how to be real adults with a mortgage, we will figure out how to be youth pastors at a church that is totally different than what we are used too, we will figure out how to raise a child.  We will because we know that the Lord will help us through it and everything leading up will pass.  Thank you, Gran for again reiterating that lesson one last time.  :)

Gran is probably one of the closest family members to me that I have had pass away.  I have had other members pass but none as close as Gran.  So, this was the first time that I was at a funeral home for longer than 30 minutes and the first time that people were really coming to visit me and say their condolences.  The flowers, the cards, the kind words and the many faces that came through were so very special and sweet gestures to my family and to me.  We were overwhelmed with love and support from people.  From our jobs and allowing us to just take the time to be with family to the many stories of people that came that knew Gran.  We are so thankful for all the love and support.  But one thing I think I couldn't get out of my head was that everyone asked "How are you?"  That's perfectly fine, and I will probably always ask that question when I go to visit others in the funeral home but Thursday night, I think...a co-worker of mine came to see us.  Mind you, she just lost her mom just this year too so it was still very fresh on her heart and it meant so much to both Mom and me to see her there.  But she didn't ask how we were doing or if we needed anything...although I am sure if we called her for anything she would gladly do anything we asked but what she did ask will forever stick with me.  She asked my sister and me what Gran was like.  She wanted to know what kind of person she was.  And that is so small but it was so sweet for both Brittany and I to share Gran with someone and not talk about us and our feelings.  So, from here on out....I still will ask how the person is doing but if I don't know the person that has passed, I will ask what that person is like.  

Kraig and I did close on our house this week too!  Finally!!!  So, we have already started working on it.  We went to buy appliances yesterday to be delivered Friday.  We went and bought paint, supplies and cleaning supplies.  Kraig's brother and roommate are in town...so they mowed the lawn yesterday and although we are far from moving in...we have started to make some progress :)  But even if we do not move in before Rett gets here, this too shall pass and we will move in when the house is ready.  And on the note of Rett....he's coming sooner!  I just know it.  :)  So, be on the lookout for baby pics soon as well as home renovation pics...I'm going to try to show you some of my pinterest projects that I have in mind as we go along but they may be on the back burner compared to Baby Rett :)  


Comments

  1. I wish so much that I lived closer and could help you prepare for Rett and do some of those pinterest projects. I love you and miss you and you are a dear dear friend!!! You and Kraig are good people :-) I'm lucky to know you. And I can't wait to know Rett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your thoughts :) When I read "This too shall pass" I just smiled for two reasons: 1) My mom said the same thing to me this morning when I was stressing about grown-up stuff and 2) I really needed to hear it a second time from someone else.

    I love you girl and your sweet family. You have all been such a blessing to me over the past two years. I am so happy for where you are in your life, even with all the craziness! Gran is right... This too shall pass and we'll all be stronger and better for it.

    --Dana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where do you want to be?

If someone would have told me 5 years ago that I would: 1 - marry a yankee :) 2 - work with kids 3 - have a kid 3 years after being married (or have a kid, period) 4 - live in Chickamauga I think I would have laughed in their face. Well, here I am...almost to my 3 year anniversary to a YANKEE that I love dearly, work with kids day in and day out - with youth and 4 th graders, we have a baby boy on the way, and it looks like we will be staying in Chickamauga or the surrounding area. Hmmm ...it's funny (I don't think I am laughing yet) how the Lord has molded my life to what He wanted and yet it is so far from what I wanted, but it is exactly what I needed and where I need to be. I love my husband. We rarely agree on much but he is one of the best things to have ever happened to me. We joke about our disagreements, right now, we can't even agree on our son's name. Which I know we have time, I just thought it would come a bit easier. Guess not. :) It will co

Well - in DUE time all news will come out

I don't even know where to begin... I guess the most recent news would be that we are going to have a surprise visit from the stork in June and it's a BOY! I am sure I will update more later because it being a surprise has come many other surprises that we have had to work through so that is all DUE time. :) Also, I think last I wrote, my dad was being shipped off to Kuwait. Well, he's back and working in Nashville as the Senior Enlisted Leader for the state of Tennessee. He's pretty important. We are so very proud of him. He does his job well. We are trying to buy a house. That's another big thing going on in our lives. Mainly because we have a new addition and we need to be more stablized. Maybe so, maybe not...but we feel like this is the next move that we should make. Now, if only we could find a house :) In DUE time again, I'm sure the Lord will place the perfect house in front of us. So, PLEASE, PLEASE pray we can find something suitable for u

So close!!

Well, we are down to the wire now, folks! Just got back from the doctor visit, we go back Tuesday for the ultrasound to make sure Rett and I look good.  Then, we will talk about scheduling his arrival probably for the end of next week.  Needless, to say, I'm scared out of my mind.  :)  And in all reality, I know it could happen before that but the unknown for me is almost better than the known.  I don't know.  Either way, we are going to be responsible for a real human in a little over a week.  The Lord sure does trust us.  Goodness! My last post was all about things that I am ready for...well, I thought of some more...     ~I'm ready to be able to wear my wedding rings again.     ~I'm ready to not be so hot all the time.     ~ I'm ready to not be so puffy (swollen).     ~ I'm ready to help on the house. These are just a few.  On the note of the house...it is coming along very nicely.  The Lord's time of Rett couldn't be any better.  He knew th